Sunday 24 January 2016

Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick

Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick
Published: Simon and Schuster, November 10th, 2015
Pages: 400
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Contemporary, mystery/thriller
Rating: 3.5/5

How I Felt: I usually really enjoy Becca Fitzpatrick's books. Generally, I like reading her books even though the writing isn't the best and they're full of cheese. But I found myself not liking this one as much. I've read all of her books and this one is definitely my least favourite. I just didn't like Stella that much, especially in the beginning. You'd think after going through a traumatic, life and death experience and coming out alive, she'd be grateful to move far away to a safe place with a nice ex-cop to take care of her but alas, no.

I can say that Stella became more tolerable as she grew throughout the story and began to open up more to her past and accept the things she's done and been able to grow as a person and move on.

I wish Carmina's drama with her family would have been more prominent. It was set up in a way that made it feel like it would come into play later but it didn't really offer any new, relevant information. I was hoping we'd get to see more of her past as Stella learned to respect and appreciate her.

Trigger was disgusting and I'm glad he got what he deserved. The whole small town star player drama thing was getting old.

I wish we got to see more of Inny, her and Stella went through some major bonding and after a certain point she was briefly mentioned about why she wasn't going to be a part of the story anymore and then she was just completely gone from the plot. I missed her sass.

The twists at the end in the murder case was predictable in hindsight, but I didn't see it coming so I found it entertaining.

I found that my interest while reading this book was like a roller-coaster. I wasn't 100% interested in the story 100% of the time. There were some chapters I wanted to skip all together because they dragged so much and then there were others where I was on the edge of my seat. The inconsistency in the writing started getting on my nerves a little but I wasn't too fussed about it.


The ending is what really pushed me to give this book three stars. The whole time I was reading this, it didn't get better than a two star rating. But the ending, with the action and mystery and Stella finally coming to her senses (and with a little help from Chet and his swoonyness), allowed me to enjoy myself more and I decided to be generous and give it an extra star.

Overall, this book was okay. I loved the premise when I first read it, but the story didn't really live up to it for me. I love the idea of reading about a character going through the witness protection program, but the process wasn't really talked about too much. I will continue reading books by Becca Fitzpatrick just because they're easy reads and I have no self control. I don't think they're the best books out there and they're definitely not for everyone. As I said before, I wasn't too impressed by this book and it wasn't my favourite of hers. If you want to pick up this book you're going to need a lot of patience with Stella because she does eventually make it to a good place, but it takes her a while to get there.

Thanks for reading!
~Birdie


 
*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*
*Image taken from Google.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts