Friday 28 August 2015

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
Published: Katherine Tegen, January 31st, 2012
Pages: 374
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 3.5/5

How I Felt: This was such a cool book! As soon as I heard this was about reincarnation my interest was immediately piqued because it's has always been something that interested me! The concept of this world is so unique I couldn't help but read it! It's set in a world where over a million souls reincarnate, then one year Ana is born. A newsoul, here to take the place of another soul everyone thought would come back.

Jodi's writing is beautiful, I loved the way she crafted the world and introduced the characters. I love Ana as a main character, her voice is so relatable and realistic for her situation and world and I really appreciated her character development. Her relationship with Sam was amazingly written. For once in YA I feel like I've found a couple who doesn't rush to be together and instantly know things will work out for them. Again, it was very realistic.

This world is so complex and full or amazing fantastical elements such as dragons and sylph. I'm so happy this book had dragons in it because it made me want to read more books with them! I understand why we didn't figure out too much about the world outside Heart in this book because Ana is figuring all this stuff out for the first time, so I'm interested to learn more in the next installments!

I didn't give this book a higher rating because while I really enjoyed the writing style, it wasn't the easiest for me to read. I found the pace to speed up and slow down multiple times so this book took me longer than expected to read.

Also, I found some of the concepts to be confusing so I hope they'll get cleared up in the sequels. I hope we get to learn more about sylph too because I've never heard of them before and I'm a wee bit confused.

Those were the only problems I had with this book. I loved everything else about it! I highly recommend it if you love fantasy. I can't wait to pick up the next book and see what happens!


Favourite Quotes:
  • “There's always the option of deciding for yourself who you are and what you'll become.”
  • “Did you have friends?"
    "I've read about them, but I don't believe they exist."
    "Your cynicism is amazing.”
  • “Music overwhelmed me, soaked into my skin like water. I didn’t have words for the squiggles and dashes across the pages, or the way his fingers stretched across the keys to make my heart race. If I could hear only one thing for the rest of my life, this was what I wanted.”
  • “It's difficult to focus on my studies when my best friend is struggling to get through the hour."
    He hesitated. "So I'm your best friend now?"
    My cheeks heated, and I shrugged. "It was between you and Sarit, and you have the piano. She just has honey.”
  • “I think I died to be reborn with you”
  • “Simple things are often the most challenging.”
 
Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

***Quotes taken from Goodreads.com and Incarnate by Jodi Meadows***
*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

*Images taken from Google.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts