Monday 4 August 2014

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
Published: Harlequin Teen, July 31, 2012
Pages: 392
Source: Hardcover, Library
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: 5/5 (98%)

How I Felt: Wow, just wow. This book was so good! THE FEELS! It wasn't your normal cutesy contemporary romance. This had depth, meaning and was realistic, with those cute moments added in to balance everything out. The amount of character development in this book was astounding! I loved Noah and Echo from the moment we saw them together, I just wish we had more of the book to see them together. This whole situation with Echo's mom really scared me because I felt so bad for the things Echo had to go through. Lila was one of my favourite characters, I love how she was there for Echo no matter what happened, and when she stood with her when she showed her scars; cry-worthy. Grace. I hated her so much, I especially hated how Echo tried so hard to win her back as a friend. She was so mean and she had the nerve to seek Echo out and talk to her right after she insulted her in gym, she was so stuck up and full of herself and that really got under my skin because I know people like her and it's just so aggravating. Speaking of vain people, Luke. I don't like this guy, how he quickly gets over Echo and then comes running back when he thinks he can use her again, meanwhile he can't even stand to look at her scars, he has the nerve to be disgusted with them, well guess what Luke I'm repulsed by you. Her dad was an okay guy, at first I thought he was a coward, but by the end of the book I excepted him and sort of forgave him. Ashley I saw as a snooty, rich person, but she did care for Echo, just didn't know how to show it. Mrs. Collins was the best, I loved her. She was so supportive of both Noah and Echo. Noah was just the perfect person, constantly trying to protect everyone he loved and get his brothers back. When he and Isaiah stood up to Beth's mom and boyfriend I immediately loved them even more. Echo is such an amazing character. Strong, brave, all the traits you hope to see in a protagonist, but her traits took on a more realistic scenario. This book was just fantastic! Highly recommend for contemporary lovers and non-contemporary lovers alike.

Favourite Quotes:
  • “Are you ready to take the ACT on Saturday?" my father asked.
    Did chickens enjoy being put on trucks labeled KFC? "Sure.”
  • “I watched you battle against the worst memory of your life and I watched you win. Make no mistake, Echo. I battled right beside you.”
  • “The worst type of crying wasn't the kind everyone could see--the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.”
  • “Because growing up means making tough choices, and doing the right thing doesn’t necessarily mean doing the thing that feels good.”
  • “I saw the world in black and white instead of the vibrant colours and shades I knew existed.”
  • “Sometimes when you see the line, you think it's a good idea to cross it--until you do.”
***Quotes taken from Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry and Goodreads.com***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts