Tuesday 28 April 2015

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Published: Bloomsbury, August 7th, 2012
Pages: 416
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 5/5

Thoughts: Woah. I finally understand why everyone is so obsessed with this series, it's amazing! I flew through this book and couldn't put it down! Normally it takes a while for me to get into fantasy novels but I dove head first into this one and enjoyed and understood everything!

The premise of this book is that the king of Adarlan (a region in this country) is looking for a personal assassin and he decides to hold a contest and the best assassin and the winner with become the King's Champion. The king's son Dorian goes to look for Celeana because she's the best assassin in all the land. She is then taken to Adarlan to complete a few tests and win the final duel so she can become the Champion and in a few years gain her freedom.

Celaena was definitely my favourite character! She was so strong, smart and independent and I loved reading from her perspective, she's one of the best female protagonists I've read about in a while! The fact that she's the country's most notorious assassin is really interesting and unique! I'd love to learn more about her and her past in the books to come!

Sarah J. Maas has such lovely and brilliant writing! Every scene she wrote had me enthralled in the story! I loved how she wrote action sequences, they were very easy to follow and visualize.

I also loved reading about Chaol and Dorian, they remind me so much of Jem and Will from the Infernal Devices! I don't really know which team I'm on right now but I think I'm leaning more toward Chaol, there's just so much mystery surrounding him and I think his toughness is very good for Celeana. But then again Dorian loves to read and has those adorable moments too.

On the mention of Dorian and reading I loved how the fact that both him and Celaena's love of reading were incorporated in the novels, it just made them both so much more enjoyable to read about (and increased their similarities to Tessa and Will which I found rather enjoyable). 

I really can't wait to learn a lot more about the history of Erilea. I also can't wait to learnmore about the Fae because I have my suspicions... I also am excited to eventually see more of Nehemia and I hope we can see Eyllwe in future installments.

Overall this book was fantastic! I can't wait to buy Crown of Midnight and DEVOUR it!! I definitely recommend this one!

Favourite Quotes:
    • “Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”
    • “No. I can survive well enough on my own— if given the proper reading material.”
    • “We all bear scars,... Mine just happen to be more visible than most.”  
    • “How long was I asleep?" she whispered. He didn't respond.
      "How long was I asleep?" she asked again, and noticed a hint of red in his cheeks.
      "You were asleep, too?"
      "Until you began drooling on my shoulder.”  
    • “Sometimes, the wicked will tell us things just to confuse us–to haunt o-ur thoughts long after we've faced them.”
    • “I like music," she said slowly, "because when I hear it, I...I lose myself within myself, if that makes any sense. I become empty and full all at once, and I can feel the whole earth roiling around me. When I play. I'm not... for once, I'm not destroying, I'm creating.”

    Thanks for reading!
    ~Birdie
     
    ***Quotes taken from Goodreads.com and Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas***
    *Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts