Sunday 26 April 2015

Tumble and Fall by Alexandra Coutts

Tumble and Fall by Alexandra Coutts
Published: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, September 17th, 2013
Pages: 372
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: 2/5

How I Felt: To be honest I'm not too impressed with this book. I was really interested in the story because it had a really cool concept: an asteroid is going to hit the Earth in a week so what do you do for the last few days of your life? Apparently in this book, go to the beach because no one wants to die pale.

This book is told from three points of view and written in third person. Not a good combination in my opinion. I don't like third person perspective in the first place, so having to read like this about three different characters just made everything extremely difficult and dull. I couldn't connect with the characters at all not just because of the P.O.V but also because I found them all incredibly boring and constantly making dumb decisions. They were the most dramatic and whiny characters I've read about in a long time.

In terms of characters I didn't really like any of them. I liked (tolerated) Ryan, Sienna's younger brother, because he was adorable and a ray of sunshine in this book. And I also liked Sienna's dad mainly because I felt sorry for him.

The whole book was said to be about this asteroid that was supposed to crash into the Earth and this concept was pushed to the back burner in the grand scheme of the plot in this book (ironically). The characters never really thought about any of this, a line about it was forced in there every few chapters or so to remind the reader that it's actually happening. The main reason I picked up this book was because I found the whole asteroid thing very interesting and unique and so I was very disappointed and let down when it wasn't a major part of the book.

I only really liked two things about this book. I liked how the families were portrayed in this book. Well, more towards the end at least. I feel like by the end the author really communicated the importance of family and the need of everyone to be together. The other thing I liked was the very, very end. I liked the way the last few minutes on Earth and the coming of the asteroid was written. It was very beautiful and I could really picture that scene in my head.

Overall there was nothing spectacular about this book. I don't really recommend it. It's not a good contemporary and it certainly isn't a good book about asteroids. Read it if you really think it interests you and you're open-minded.


Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts