Sunday 26 July 2015

Popular: How a Geek in Pearls Discovered the Secret to Confidence by Maya Van Wagenen

Popular by Maya Van Wagenen
Published: Speak, April 15st 2014
Pages: 272
Source: Paperback, purchased
Genre: Nonfiction
Rating: 5/5

How I Felt: Inspirational and relatable! A must-read for anyone that's ever felt like they just don't belong.

This is the first memoir, as well as non-fiction book I've ever read! I was very impressed! It was moving, heartfelt, and honest. I think I might just have to pick up more books from this genre after how amazing this book was!

I read this book in less than 24 hours. I stayed up so late reading it because I couldn't put it down! Then I woke up super early and began reading right where I left off! I related so much to Maya while reading this book, she was so much like me. I'm still the shy, quiet, awkward girl that she used to be. This book inspired me to be more than that. I've never really related as much with a person as I have with Maya.


In short, Maya's writing style is fantastic! And for someone so young! There is true talent in Maya Van Wagenen and I can't wait to see what she does with it! I loved the way this book had charts, blurbs, and pictures throughout. It kept the story going and helped to lighten the mood and made the book a little bit more interesting!


I was moved to tears many times while reading this book! Maya Van Wagenen's writing is truly beautiful and she has so much talent! I hope she writes more books so I can gobble them up like I did this one!

Overall, this book was amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone, there's really no age limit! Truly inspirational! This is a book I'll look forward to rereading whenever I'm feeling blue. Can't wait to see what she writes in the future!


Favourite Quotes:
  • “Popularity is more than looks. It’s not clothes, hair, or even possessions. When we let go of these labels, we see how flimsy and relative they actually are. Real popularity is kindness and acceptance. It is about who you are, and how you treat others.”  
  •  “No popularity exists when tragedy strikes. All that's left are human hearts and love and ache. We all love each other, deep down, and when we see another soul in pain we can't help but hurt too.”  

Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

***Quotes taken from Goodreads.com and Popular by Maya Van Wagenen***
*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts