Sunday 1 May 2016

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

Since this is the fourth book in the series I want to put it out there that this review is filled with spoilers for the series. Beware, you have been warned.

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
Published: Bloomsbury USA Children's, September 1st, 2015
Pages: 648
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 5/5

How I Felt: Can I just start this off by saying how much I loved Lysandra in this? I hated her in the Assassin's Blade and now I want to be her best friend.

Dorian, precious cinnamon roll!!



Sarah J. Maas is a literal queen and deserves all the awards ever for making me feel all the feels and for breaking my heart into a million little pieces and then gluing a quarter of them back together.

So in case you couldn't tell, I really really loved this book. I thought it was a great continuation of the series and I loved where it picked up. I feel like it did the characters a lot of justice and was great at showcasing their stellar development. For instance, in the beginning of this book I wanted to knock the living daylights out of Chaol he was so annoying. But by the end he had me in tears and I just wanted to protect him and cry for the rest of my life. Also, Dorian is my precious cinnamon roll and must be protected at all costs. Aedion gives me life. And Lysandra is a beautiful human being who deserves all the good things.

What I love about Sarah's writing is the witty banter that happens between all the characters. I can't help but burst out laughing like a psycho whenever reading one of those scenes and it's what I love about all her books.

Aelin is such an amazing character, in my opinion. I love how much growth and change she goes through in this book. Frankly, I love how much change everyone goes through in this book. Too many emotions!

So I think I should put it out there that I'm hardcore team Rowan so I loved this book very very much. I thought I loved Rowan in HoF but I fell in love with him in this book and in my opinion I think he and Aelin are perfect and amazing together.

I very much enjoyed getting to see many new characters in this book, like Evangeline, Elide and Nesryn. Granted, at the beginning of the book I also wanted to punch Nesryn but by the end I would've done anything to protect her.

I enjoyed getting to see from Manon's P.O.V. more so in this book than HoF just because of how much was going on in Morath with her in this book. I also enjoyed getting to see her mindset change and see her slowly develop a conscience. I loved the Manon/Aelin seen! I was rooting for both of them very loudly whilst reading alone in my room (to the dismay of my family).

I did find some parts of this book to be slow and hard to get through, but for the most part I really did enjoy it.

I loved all the action/fighting/battle scenes we got in this book and I'm so pumped for all the ones to come in future books!

Also, I hate Arobynn Hamel with a burning, fiery passion. And Clarisse too.

I really liked the scene where Aelin disguised herself with the dancers. I loved getting to see her with her old teacher and their exchange.

Okay, we need to discuss the Wrydkey and Valg developments in this book. SO many things happened in both departments it was hard to keep up but I enjoyed learning it all just the same.

Overall, I really loved this book. I am such a fan of this series it isn't even funny. I can't wait for the fifth book to come out! I need to know what happens to all my precious children! I will probably pass out when I get it in my hands. I can't wait to know more about everything, this book has so many layers it never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*
*Images takes from Google.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts