Tuesday 5 July 2016

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
Published: Speak, April 3rd, 2012
Pages: 352
Source: Paperback, purchased
Genre: Historical Fiction
Rating: 5/5

How I Felt: Oh my gosh what do I even say? Nothing could ever do this book justice. It was beautiful, brilliant and emotional. I loved it; I'm so glad I read it. I honestly think everyone needs to read this book. It's so eye-opening, Ruta Sepetys is brilliant.

Firstly, I want to say that I loved the writing. Absolutely loved it. I love how she ends chapters. They end on such powerful one-liners that either make you cry or make you think. Too good ugh.

Let me just say that this book had me bawling like a baby. Reading Lina's reactions to things and how everyone around her rallied together to support each other had me feeling all the emotions. So many heartfelt moments. And what made this book all the more emotional was that this was based on true events, events that not too many people talk about. What made me cry the most, was how cruel the secret police were, and yet the prisoners were always kind to them. Always.

This has become one of my favourite books of all time and I will forever recommend it to every person I ever meet. Lina's story is one that needs to be shared with people; everyone should be made aware of the injustices done to these people.

I love Lina, I love Jonas I just love this book so much. I highly recommend it if you haven't yet picked it up. It's a heavy read because of all the horrible things that happened, but it's definitely worth it. Perfection. I want to read all of Ruta's books now.


Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I definitely recommend it to everyone, even if you aren't the biggest fan of historical fiction. Despite the heavy topic, Ruta's writing is so easy to read. I flew through this book and I can't wait to read more of her works in the future. 

Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*
*Image taken from Google.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts