Tuesday 20 January 2015

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons


Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
Published: Tor Teen, January 31st, 2012
Pages: 384
Source: Paperback, purchased
Genre: Dystopian
Rating: 3.75/5 (79%)

How I Felt: This book was really good! I flew thru it! It was fast-paced, action-packed and had an adorable, yet frustrating romance. This book was well written, but not really unique, basically every dystopian book is like this but I still found it enjoyable and good because dystopian books are my #1 choice all the time.

The tag line: "Compliance is mandatory" immediately hooked me in, because I found that really intriguing, I really like how that line was played up throughout the novel.

In this book we didn't really learn much about the world, just that there was a war that tore America apart, and brought about a new government system. The whole idea of the FBR and the MM was well showcased throughout the story, we really got to see their huge impact on society. The whole concept of these 'Moral Statutes' was really interested, yet twisted; I hope we learn more about their origination in the books to come.

Another thing I liked about this book was that in the beginning, whilst explaining the Moral Statutes, and the new role the government plays, themes of religion were briefly touched upon, which I found brave and admirable on the author's part because usually this topic is shied away from by most authors.

Of course in a book like this there'd have to be a group of people the protagonist refers to as 'The Resistance'. I'm interested to see what they've got, and what they do for the protagonist and the world in the books to come.

Now let's talk about characters. First up, Morris. He was portrayed as such an interesting villain, and it's obvious he has to play a part in the sequel (at least I'm hoping). There seems to be a backstory lingering behind his tough façade. Ember was such a great protagonist and character, she had a definite character arc throughout the story. She went from a meek girl loving with her mother to a kick-butt fighter who could protect herself. I do wonder how she gathered these fighting skills because she never really had any use for them in the past, it seems like these were just instincts that propelled her to safety every time she was in danger. Chase Jennings. Woah. When he first came back I didn't like him or trust him, but as we learned about what happened, and the motives behind his actions my love and respect for him skyrocketed! Him and Ember need to stay together forever, they make such a good team!

Overall I really enjoyed this book! It was a great read, I definitely recommend it! I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel and find out what happens next!

Favourite Quotes:
  • “He put a hand on his throat, as though trying to stop the words, but they came anyway.
    "You're home. To me.”  
  • “He was my anchor in the hurricane, yet at the same time, the hurricane itself, so that I nearly always felt safe and afraid simultaneously. There was nothing in the world as confusing and powerful as being close to him.”
  • “There were plenty of ways to hurt someone without using your fists.”
  • “I jerked instinctively. I couldn't stay here. I couldn't die in this closet.
    'No one is going to touch you,' Chase murmured into my hair.”
  • “How cold and foreign this city seemed, that even death could pass unnoticed.”
Thanks for reading!
~Birdie
 

***Quotes taken from Goodreads.com and Article 5 by Kristen Simmons***
*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts