Monday 10 August 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Published: HarperTeen, February 10th, 2015
Pages: 383
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 3/5

How I Felt: This book was pretty good, this series has a lot of potential. I don't think this book was worth all the hype though. I was really entertained while reading this, though I found it difficult for me to read this book for long periods of time. 

I didn't really like any of the characters and I didn't find myself getting attached to any of them. I'm really interested to see where we go in the next book, there are so many questions left unanswered and so many things I want to know about.

I feel like this is one of the few fantasy books I've read where the queen is the evil one and not the king, and I found this really interesting and refreshing.

I really want to learn more about the Silvers and how they came to get there powers, and how so many variations came about.

I didn't give this book a higher rating because I found a lot of the plot points to be very predictable. The betrayal at the end I saw coming from a mile away, it was just the obvious outcome and was hinted at many times during the book. Also, the thing Mare realizes at the end I thought might happen at the beginning of the book when it was first mentioned.

I will have to say that I loved the scenes with Mare's family, they're all just so close and I loved to get to see them together. My favourite character, if I had to pick, would be Julian, I hope we get to see more of him in the next book. I also really liked Kilorn in this book, out of all the 'love interests' (because they really can't even be called that) he's my favourite for Mare.

I really liked the battle at the end, it was action-packed and kick-butt and I really enjoyed reading that! I'm looking forward to learning more about the rebels and the Scarlet Guard, but more specifically, Farley.

I can't wait to learn more about this world, and I'll probably pick up the sequel when it comes out. A good, fun, quick read. Good if you like fantasy. But it sadly didn't live up to all the hype for me.


Favourite Quotes:
  • “Anyone can betray anyone.” 
  • “The truth is what I make it. I could set this world on fire and call it rain.” 
  • “Rise, red as the dawn.” 
  • “In the fairy tales, the poor girl smiles when she becomes a princess. Right now, I don't know if I'll ever smile again.” 
  • “If you know someone's fear, you know them.
  • “I see a world on the edge of a blade. Without balance, it will fall.”
Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

***Quotes taken from Goodreads.com and Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard***
*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts