Saturday 15 August 2015

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
Published: HarperTeen, September 10, 2013
Pages: 276
Source: Paperback, purchased
Genre: Paranormal/mythology
Rating: 3.5/5

How I Felt: The only other books I've read by Kiersten White are the ones in the Mind Games duology. I really enjoyed the writing and characters in that book, as I did this one. Isadora went through tremendous character development, and I felt like that was shown and developed nicely. Kiersten's writing is so easy to read and I just flew through this book. I couldn't even put it down at some points!

I loved the fact that this book was based around Egyptian mythology. Any type of mythology really intrigues me so that was definitely a big selling point for me. I loved the way Kiersten incorporated the mythology into the plot and the characters. It was just so fun and interesting!

I would've liked to know a little more about Isadora's childhood and just get more knowledge about how her family works, but the information we were given was sufficient. I also would've liked to learn more about her other living siblings and how they're relationships just to clear a few things up.

Throughout the book I kept forgetting who was Hathor and who was Horus and it was so funny to read a sentence thinking it was the other person.

I really liked Ry, he was my favourite character! I just wish we could've spent more time getting to know his family because I found it odd that Isis didn't know they existed.

There was a lot of foreshadowing in this book and I was quite surprised I picked up on it because I usually don't.

I felt like that because this book is a standalone it could've been a little longer. Interactions between characters, action scenes, and foreshadowing scenes could've been elongated for a more 'end' feeling when the story wrapped up.

I'm only giving this book three stars because while I really enjoyed it, it wasn't the best book I've ever read and there were a few minor issues with it. But overall, it was a really great and interesting read! I highly recommend it for fans of mythology or just unique, cultural reads!


Favourite Quotes:
  • “I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we'd choose anyway. And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you and I'd choose you”  
  • “I can't seem to keep my heart from leaking out of the cracks, like sand clutched in a fist.”  
  • “It's all a matter of perspective. And maybe we thought we were living one story, when if we look at it a little different, we can reframe everything - all out memories and attributes and experiences - and see that we're actually living a different story.”  
  • “Boys suck. Even when they have perfect blue eyes and ridiculously cool trucks. Maybe especially then.”  
  • “Soap operas got nothing on my family history.”  
 

Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

***Quotes taken from Goodreads.com and The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White***
*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts